Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tipster Tuesday

Every Tuesday this is where I will post some tips on saving money and tips on what you can do to help take care of the environment.

Recycling Facts from www.DoSomething.com

Did you know the average American uses 650 pounds of paper each year. If all that paper were recycled it would save 100 million tons of wood!

Recycling one ton (about 2,000 pounds) of paper saves 17 trees, two barrels of oil (enough to run the average car for 1,260 miles), 4,100 kilowatts of energy (enough power for the average home for six months), 3.2 cubic yards of landfill space, and 60 pounds of pollution.

The 17 trees saved by recycling one ton of paper can absorb a total of 250 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the air each year.

If all of our newspapers were recycled, we could save about 250 million trees each year! If every American recycled just one-tenth of their newspapers, we could save about 25 million trees each year.


So, what can you do about this? Recycle your paper. My husband and I put out boxes and bags at our work places to collect the papers and shredded paper, we also of course, recycle all of our paper at home. I take all of the paper to a recycling place in Monroe every weekend. I know this isn't convenient for most, so I am working on getting a recycling bin at our church. You can bring newspaper and bagged, used white paper. The company that picks it up gives money to Come Alive Ministries in Winder, depending on the weight of the paper. This ministry helps pregnant teens, single pregnant women, and single moms by providing education and resources to help equip them for life. So not only will you be helping the environment, but you will also be helping your community! I will let everyone know when this becomes available.

Here are a few tips that have helped me greatly in saving money over the last few months!

1)Learn the coupon policies of the stores you shop at.

Publix and Ingles doubles all coupons up to a $1.00(so for all coupons $.50 and under, they will double.) Publix also takes competitor's coupons. I have used Target, Food Lion, and Ingles coupons at Publix. Publix will double 3 coupons for every $10 spent, not sure about Ingles.

At Publix and Ingles, if an item is BOGO you are charged 1/2 price for each, not full price for one and zero for the second. So you can only buy one item if you want. If you get two items, you can use 2 coupons. For example: A bag of chips that costs $4.00. If it is on sale BOGO, you pay $2.00 a bag, and if you have $.50 coupons, they will be doubled to $1.00 so each bag will cost $1.00.

2)I am a coupon junkie!

I collect coupons like other people collect baseball cards. The more the better. I usually get 5-6 copies of the coupon inserts on Sundays. I have an AJC delivered to my house, I get 1-2 copies from my mother-in-law(althought she may want to start keeping them after reading my blog!), I buy 1-2 double edition AJC's at the store on Sundays, and I get a set from my mom. So I have 5-6 of each coupon.

I do this b/c if I can get something for .$25 to $.50 I might as well stockpile that way I won't have to buy any for a while.

3) I have certain price limits I will pay for certain items.

Once you have been shopping frugally for a while, you see how the sales ads and coupons cycle back around. So I know for instance that if I get 5-6 of an item, it will last me until it goes on sale again.

Some examples of my price limits are-

marinades-$.25 (I have so many marinades at the moment I won't need to buy any for months!)

name-brand cereals-$.25-$.50

cheese 8oz block- $2.00

Mt. Dew 12-pack- $2.75

shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes- free to $.50(I also have a closet full of these items, most I got for free.)

Beef and boneless, skinless, chicken breasts- $1.99/lb

What are some things you do to help the environment or save money? Please share your comment below.

No comments: