Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Home Improvement at it's Best

Guest post by Karen Allen

Some of you may know that I co-host a home improvement show and I've learned so much since I've started. Instead of looking at how pretty the front door is, I now look to see if there's cracks in the foundation. Instead of admiring the beauty of a newly finished basement, I wonder where the load-bearing walls are. My outlook on home improvement has changed dramatically - it's more important for me to know the home is secure, the foundation strong, and able to carry the weight of an entire house. Proverbs 14:1 says "The wise woman builds her house, but with her OWN hands the foolish one tears hers down." (emphasis mine) Our job as wise women is to build our homes in such a way that it cannot be shaken. Are our foundations strong in the Lord? Does everything we do point right to Him? From the shopping to the cleaning to the raising of our children, are we building homes that will last? Leaving a legacy of Truth, Strength, Integrity, Love and Hope. On the flip side, we could be the very ones who tear our house down. With gossip, prejudice, hate, judgment, ignorance, and apathy. We own the very hands that could tear down, or build up, our homes. The closing line to our home improvement show is "It's more than a house, it's your home" and I agree. It's my home, and it is built on very Solid Rock. Continue to build...and build well.

May God richly bless you,
Karen Allen
http://www.wctv24.com/
http://www.itsmorethanahouse.net/

No comments: