Monday, September 22, 2008

Makeover Monday

A few weeks ago, I posted about how it is much easier to manage your finances when your house is in order and organized. So I very eagerly made a weekly schedule of all the things I was going to accomplish each day. Well, here I am two weeks later, and I have to admit, I didn't follow it at all.

Am I disappointed with myself? No! I got a lot of other things accomplished in the last two weeks. We had a two weekend long yardsale (that was the first, and last time we will do that) and it was very successful. My goal was to make $200 and we made $360, and we got rid of a bunch of clutter. We made the EXACT amount we needed to finish Dave Ramsey's babystep 1. If you aren't familiar with Dave Ramsey you need to be. Go to his
website and peruse around. More on that later.

God definetely spoke to me about setting priorities the last two weeks and not only about being a good manager of my money, but also of my time.
Am I spending too much time on the computer looking for bargains?
Am I spending more time trying to keep my house in order instead of spending it with my children?

I became a stay at home mom to focus on my children, not focus on my house, my grocery shopping, or myself. Don't get me wrong, the house, grocery shopping, and myself are a priority but when they are out of order, then someone suffers.

Also, am I filling my time with busyness that 2 months or 2 years from now won't matter or that I won't even remember what I did with that time?

As the wise Karen Allen said Sunday(you can pay me back for that later!), "In the critical arenas of life, you cannot make up for LOST TIME."

You cannot make up for time you didn't spend with your children. It makes me sad to think about the times I will be on the computer, and Sydney will ask me to color with her or Briggs will ask me to play with him, and I say "sorry, not right now, mommy is busy." We don't know if we will have tomorrow, so what is the most important choice that we can make today.

I know Karen won't mind me posting this. This was at the end of our lesson Sunday.

So, the question is not "What time is it?", it's "What are you doing with your time?".
Write down 1 thing you can begin doing, on a regular basis, that would have a positive cumulative value in the following areas:

Physically
Relationally
Professionally
Spiritually

My answers were (Go to bed by 10:00-which you will see I didn't do tonight when you look at the timing of my post!), (Plan a weekly event to spend quality time with the family, we love going to the park and picnicking), (Read updated research bi-monthly), (Read Bible and spend time in prayer daily).

Ephesians 5:15-17 says:
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

So..... will you be wise with your time and your choices today? ..... will you re-evaluate your priorities to make sure you are putting God first, family second, and everything else thereafter?

I would love to here comments about what you plan on doing with the above aspects of your life! Please feel free to share!

No comments: