Monday, October 12, 2009

The arrival of Gates Benjamin Greene

Sorry for such a long break, but the end of pregnancy and working 4 days a week was a bit too much for me to handle. Anyway, baby is here and now that I am at home, I can't wait to get started blogging again.
Gates Benjamin Greene was born October 4th at 4:28 pm. He weighed 6lbs 15 oz (my smallest baby yet) and was 20 inches long. He is so precious and definitely is a better sleeper than my other two (except for last night), but I guess he has to be with two older, very loud, siblings running around.
This one was a longer labor than Briggs, my second, but not too long. We actually went to the hospital Sat night, Oct 3rd, with regular contractions, about every 3-4 minutes. They continued to be regular, but I never dilated over 1 cm. I requested a shot of Demerol, b/c this is what got my second labor going, but the contractions completely stopped. So around midnight we went back home. I got about 5 hrs sleep, then woke up with what I new was the REAL thing. Went back to the hospital on Sunday morning around 9am and was 3 cm dilated. Thank goodness b/c I told the nurse to lie to me if I was still 1 cm b/c I was not going home. The labor progressed from there. I chose to do an epidural with this one ( didn't have time with #2), and received it around 2:00pm. It only covered my right side and didn't touch my left side. Between 3:30 and 4:00, the anesthesiologist came back to readjust it, and thank goodness it worked this time, but my right side was completely numb, for hours into the night. I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself until about 3 in the morning. But hey, it worked. Little baby Gates was born at 4:28 pm, after pushing through 5 contractions. He is perfect, with lots of dark hair. His sister and brother love him very much. They constantly want to be around him. Syd wants to help change his clothes and diapers, and Briggs wants to show him all of his toys, very, very close in Gates face so he can see them.
Here are some pictures of my beautiful children.

2 comments:

MNicoleM said...

Oh, Heather - he's gorgeous!!!! Congrats :-)

The Applings said...

Gates is PERFECT! Glad he made a safe arrival. I can't believe you are already out and about couponing...you never cease to AMAZE me!